Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bildungsroman

Hello everyone,


What a productive day we had in class! There was a lot of talk about coming of age stories (bildungsromans) and the conflict between adult expectations and adults actually modelling those expectations themselves (or not).

Here is a link to a scene from Alice in Wonderland. Pay close attention to her confusion and also the relationship between the two characters. I encourage you to read the comments that other viewers have posted to open your mind to what others are thinking. WHO ahhhhh YOU? Click here.


I realise there are a lot of problematic issues visible in the film such as ETHNOCENTRISM and representation of other cultures and drug use. I hope that all of you are mature enough to be able to deal with this material in an appropriate fashion. Post any questions you have after seeing the movie as a comment and we can further this discussion tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Actually now that I think about it, Alice in Wonderland has a lot of messages that we could talk about and deconstruct in class. Remember that films, books, songs etc can be a great jumping off point for your class work!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.